Artificial Christmas

I ran into someone in a line at the store yesterday.  I don't know his name but I've seen him around the village now and then for the past 20 years or so.  He and his wife were all Florida tanned and I commented on it as if you were there - albeit during a bad cold snap - or up here where the afternoon high was 20 with a cold, damp ocean wind ---well you get the idea.

He said they came back because of the weather and the season didn't feel like the season down there   Having been in both places at this time of year for the past three years the point is well taken.  I guess it is the idea of a fireplace fire and crunching snow, shoulders huddled and head down to protect from the wind, oaths muttered and boots stomped.  Bringing cold to Florida to simulate the season is an artificial Christmas tree of sorts.

Of course if you ask me again sometime middle February when it is really cold -  I'll tell you the truth.

Comments

Post a Comment