Nostalgia

My dad would have been 100 this year. Amazingly he got to see Haley's comet twice...well he was born when it was overhead in 1910 and died when it was overhead in 2000.

He kinda grew up in the Ann Arbor Michigan area in the 20s and early 30s and he and his brother and  Stuart Mott (of the Mott family of Michigan - check your juice containers) threw into a restaurant in Ann Arbor that survives to this day. The Brown Jug.  Now it is just a place for beer and pizza and kinda seedy in a way but very much in the character.  Glenn Miller came through in the 30s, playing the University of Michigan and my dad had him and the band over for a free dinner (blueplate I'm sure..$.59).

I don't think for a second that Miller's hit "Little Brown Jug" had to do with my dad and the restaurant is based on the"Brown Jug" rivalry game between UofM and Minnesota.  But it is my dad's place of sorts and he had marvelous tales to tell about the "honey dipped doughnuts" and blowing the cooking doughnut fumes out on S. Univ. Ave...

I miss you dad. A whole lot.

Comments

  1. God bless your Dad. We all miss our fathers if they are no longer with us. They were the ones that taught us how to be a man. It is a shame that so many children don't get the chance to have a dad that loved them.

    Happy fathers day you old coot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment