First impressions - A Puzzle, a puzzle!

Morning Mist at our beach

When I was doing my doctorate I had a couple seminars with Gerhart Hertz, one of the great Bach Scholars of all times. He actually had an autograph or a plain signature I guess as Bach probably didn't sign like a baseball player signs baseballs.

My first semester paper was a construction analysis of a whole Year's worth of Bach cantatas. There weren't just 52 but I think 63 or 4 in the year that I picked and to do the task I had to make myself analyze at least one or two a day for pretty much a whole semester and then write the whole thing up. All in all I spent about 5 hours a day for 16 weeks on the task.  What it boiled down to was I figured out a way to do it in the most efficient way possible.

The same task sequence came about in writing blog entries in that after a while you reduce the effort into some sort of formula where you find a compelling picture, pair it up with some music or poem and then write a body of text and some other illustrations to connect the two. About 4 years ago I tried to reverse things because I was getting burned out so I found some music first, then wrote a text and then found a picture for an illustration; a distinction without a difference.

So why is this day different?  My filler text is a clue to the photo or vice versa.....and I'm leaving it up to you to imagine the connection.

Let me know when you figure it out.





Comments