A walk with my dog remembered

8 years ago today

We can only surmise that it rains or is foggy every few years on this day.  I've lost count. 

Rain is on the way and that's all I know.
In any event a few years back I used this picture by Paul Cornoyer in one of my writings about NYC -

 "My sadly demised dog, Chopper (a Boston Terrier), took me for a walk about 4pm most days, weather or no.  We had good conversations;  I did most of the talking but Chopper was always showing me things that I would miss because I was running my mouth.  Some days it was foggy and we talked about New York City years back, walking the streets at 3am or some hour that is only known to kids in college out for pizza.  We thought of Gershwin and his lullaby...

This piece is so New York in the 20s but not much later. It feels of the city and isn't intended to put anyone to sleep but be an ode of sorts to last call at Clancy's Bar or a cab ride after a rain - with streets glistening, puddles puddling, water mirroring and night people cleaning up for the dawn. We can see it in the music. Plain as day. 


We listened carefully as you can hear things in the fog....things you can't imagine.   Chopper liked the sound of strings - chamber music settings as well - but mostly he wanted a fire, the smell of the wood smoke hanging amidst the fog....

Good dog.

https://youtu.be/6uJqgiTiq7s?si=plECRXVUu0l7tIaD



Comments