This takes me back a bit


I started work for my doctorate on Debussy in 1972.  I worked on a publication of a piece that he wrote in early 1890s after an amazing stretch of compositions in the years just prior to it. To this day that little period of time, when Debussy was just finding his footing as a composer, has some of my all time favorite music....5-6 years of work....that stick with me like glue.

This "petite suite" (little collection) was near the top of my list.  It isn't much; no Beethoven's 5th or Mahler's 2nd, but when I hear it like I just did....I go back half a century to a music practice room in NYC when I was trying to learn the piece so I could play my half with my conducting teacher.  I wasn't  a good pianist and this was at the far edge of my technique, but struggling to become fluent in the notes.....an adventure certainly but a 50 year memory with no doubt.

Listen up.  It will take a quarter of an hour...just a penny of time really....it is very nice. Gentle even.

The suite, which was composed from 1886 to 1889, was first performed on 2 February 1889 by Debussy and pianist–publisher Jacques Durand at a salon in Paris.  It may have been written due to a request (possibly from Durand) for a piece that would be accessible to skilled amateurs, as its simplicity is in stark contrast with the modernist works that Debussy was writing at the time. 


The work, which lasts about 13 minutes in performance, has four movements:
  1. En bateau (Sailing): Andantino
  2. Cortège (Retinue): Moderato
  3. Menuet: Moderato
  4. Ballet: Allegro giusto
the piano version (original)


the orchestra version....my preference

Comments