My dog remembered..and an old post about flat reposted


Dog walks man.
 I grew up in central Michigan near the "thumb area" or the start thereof. (Think of Michigan as a big mitten and where the thumb part is) We had a huge bay, part of Lake Huron, just a couple miles away.  The land was so flat that our river (Saginaw) barely flowed.  I understand the adjective "flat".

Later on in life I lived in Oklahoma which was, on one side of town and toward the center of the state, pretty hilly - long rolling hills yonder.  The other side of Tulsa, towards the NE and Joplin, brought flat into a whole new dimension.  I worked at a classical FM station and on clear nights, our meager FM signal would reach out to the NE for about 120 miles; truly something. "Nothin' blockin' it but the sun" as the saying went.

more morning "flat"

Why this "flat" fixation today? Not sure other than the dog tried to take me for a walk down to the bay and the sand and water were, well, still and flat; they looked new. My dog has probably never walked on a hill.  I've got ALS so even the kitchen floor looks uphill . He (my dog) walks on lawns that are flat, runs on a beach that is flatter, and scoots around the house on floors that....do I have to say it?

Point is life is hardly flat. We/I spend a lot of time going uphill, looking to hit the crest of something so I/we can coast down the other side.

Not today but maybe.


Comments