Grey gray


Approaching Rain
I'm just going to dictate this so everyone chill with the mistakes. ALS and autospell are not friends.

About half a century go plus a couple years right about now I attended the Delta Conservatory of Music summer session and Michigan. It was a Delta College just outside Bay City and Sam Jones the director of the Saginaw Symphony was the principal driving force. The Saginaw Symphony had a summer season of concerts and the conservatory right off the bat was a big hit.
Our first Orchestra rehearsal was in a room that was I think part of the gym complex I'm not sure but it was a big room and I remember it because it had doors that opened to the West. There were about 50 of us and we were just sight reading and waiting for the lightning.

What I remember most about that day was looking out to the west and seeing this line of rain and thunderstorms coming; a real wall cloud type of thing. We were playing Grand Canyon Suite or trying to and it just seemed so appropriate, the cool air of a rain storm, lightning, the darkness the music set against the bright lights inside.

To this day I enjoy watching approaching storms and approaching rain and every time I think back to that early suumertime and that rehearsal. I thought about it yesterday when this rain came through and I'm thinking about it now.






Comments