I need to get out more


I'm about 12 stories up in my son's apartment in Brooklyn taking a look back at the Manhattan skyline just about 5 p.m. on Sunday night. I'm in town because my oldest granddaughter is just turned it seems 29 but is just a tween whatever that means. A gaggle of her friends are in tow and my other three granddaughters here with us plus a lot of my family so it's really a very good day and it's a great day to be in New York City just looking at it anyway.
We got sidetracked a little bit coming into town and wound up in Chinatown much to my granddaughter's chagrin as they were starving we were late for birthday party we went by 1 amazingly looking good restaurant after another seems like there was one every otber foot in and I was able to tell them 40 years or so ago 45 years actually when I was a student here in town I used to come down after my courses at Columbia and go to a Chinese restaurant just south of Delancey. It was down the basement and it
cost about $2 to eat more than you could possibly do and  I was able to take the rest back up to the train station and take my train back home to Southern New York State. The story or Adventure if you will, was lost on them obviously as it would be to you and is pretty much to me at this point but it did strike something in me which basically says that you have to get out and see things and  you just can't stay in.
I don't have a lot of time left to do this kind of thing and nor do I have a lot of energy is there all over the Brooklyn Museum now wandering around and I'm just having a pleasant afternoon looking at downtown Manhattan and listening to the sounds of the streets 12 stories up. But I needed this if you think about it everybody needs this just something new
Well that concludes my my sermonette and  you are all free to go back to dinner. I on the other hand will Marvel and the idea that I can just speak into a phone have it type out and I don't have to lift a finger which by the way I can't.







Comments