Night John Boy.....Night Pa

Ralph Waite, dead at 85
For most of the 70s a youth orchestra that I directed had a once a month leadership meeting - the student president and other officers (it was self run...I was there for the ride) would potluck it someplace and review the state of the union. These meetings often fell on Walton's Night.  The kids,in a good natured fashion, thought it was corny....Gretchen and Edith routinely called the show the Walnuts, but if possible we watched it. Now, nearly 40 years later, it is still going strong and the Hallmark Channel.

John Waite, the father and wisest of the wise figure (after grandpa died off and grandma had a stroke) passed on at 85 and I'm sad about it.

When I pass through channels with the clicker and run into the Waltons I stop and watch it. I find it amazingly well written and the characters absolutely well fashioned. More though, I think  back to those days, with those great young friends, talking, thinking, laughing and smiling - all the dramas of teenage life with kids marvelously in touch with their lives.

That is, by the way, the Waltons in a (wal)nut shell - a look back at a simpler time, without the drama and angst of growing old and the frailties it brings on.  Looking back at growing up and caring about others.

I think its on TV now.



Comments