Facebook brings some rays of light, Mike Fitzpatrick, Richard Deane and Gail Ravin Starr

Mike Fitzpatrick and Friend
Facebook has a certain weirdness to it.  Some folks put up interesting pictures, some go into mindless detail, lots think they look good making funny face selfies and, like all of us with friends, some I have no idea who they are or how they got friend-ed.   Its OK though because if it didn't exist, some of those might have disappeared from anything but my memory and that would be a shame.

This is Mike Fitzpatrick.  I've known him for about 40 years or so.  I kinda think the picture is self-explanatory. He played in a youth orchestra back then and obviously - I mean obviously - has had a stellar career.  His sister, Josie, is co-principal violist with one of Europe's best orchestras Anyway, I've asked Mike to send me a signed copy of this picture for my "real wall".

Richard Deane auditioned for the same orchestra about the time Mike joined. He played for me first in about 1975. A dozen years later he was in the Atlanta Symphony In the past few days he was appointed to the New York
Richard Deane and Gail Ravin Starr
Philharmonic.  Next to him his Gail Ravin, again from back in those times - a virtuoso piano prodigy and a dedicated arts patron with Atlanta Symphony...and she and Richard are good friends. Gail's sister Linda, lives in Sweden, is a well published author and played flute with the group.

These are just part of a musical family of sorts that, without Facebook, would be memories rather than tableau vivants. Thanks for that.

I wonder if they remember this piece - we played it at Centre College's concert hall in front of 1500 people about this date 37 years ago....my oh my how time flies.




Comments

  1. Ah, if I could have only played it as well as Andre! But YOU certainly conducted it as well as he could!! MISS YOU MUCH!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment