Some memories are crisp...others fail me

A priceless gift given to me  by Garby Leon
My lifelong friend, Garby Leon of Los Angeles, owned a copy of the 9 Beethoven symphonies in score.  A score is what the conductor uses but more than that, it is all the notes to view, listen to, and learn.  Garby was a pianist and composer. Mostly he was and is a gifted musician who loved his craft.

Early after he "loaned" this to me (his name in blue marker - LEON on the top right of the jacket), I set about learning these figuring that it was a basic to being a conductor.  My method was simple; I copied every part - from flute at the top to double  bass at the bottom so not only did I have this wonderful set of scores but now I had all the parts.  Every damn note.

I figured rightly or wrongly that the way I would memorize and really remember stuff was to write it down.  I still remember trig problems and weird answers to stuff because I wrote it down.  I never thought I would forget.

I have.  It hurts to think of all that work - it took 8 months with dip pen and manuscript paper - slowly slipping away.  It was a fools errand of hubris to think I wouldn't ever forget but I have.

Lovely.  Some of my Facebook friends learned the 5th symphony in a youth orchestra 40 years ago. I didn't forget teaching it and enjoying their enjoyment. I think they remembered it if they still do, those rehearsals, those crazy explanations and endless (umm da da da dahhhh). I remember them and I didn't have to write down a name.

But of all the stuff I copied that year 50 years ago in Bay City, Michigan, this is what I remember the most.


Comments