Moonbeams

Several summers ago I was sitting outside with one of my grand daughters.  The yard was filled with fireflies and the sky with stars and a full moon. She wondered about stars and the explanation that they were actually "suns" was a lost cause - as I think it would be on 90% of our current adult population. She was 4 going on 18 but science was a bit of a stretch. Imagination was "all in".

We finally settled on the theory that the stars were fireflies drawn up to the sky by the moon and they liked it so much, that fantastic view of earth, that they decided to stay.

Now all four of my/these curious grand kids has access to a telescope and with the full moon tonight, Jupiter and the red-spot and all those moons right near by, and it may be the first time that they get to see the moon through a scope.

I remember vividly my first view when I was their age. It took my breath and I was transfixed.

More than anything on this earth I wish I could be a fly (firefly) on the wall when they get a first glimpse and their minds fill up with wonder.


Comments