Bill of Sale

Found this one in some family papers the other day. It is from 1929 for a gem purchased in Cairo by my wife's great aunt.  She took the tour in the late 20s and bought a very nice stone from this company, Macan Markar, at the hotel Shepheard in Cairo.  A story in itself I'm sure.

It didn't take much looking to find a picture of the hotel from the 20s, about the time of her visit.  Certainly a grand place. Winston Churchill, Lawrence (of Arabia) and Stanley (of Livingstone I presume) were in the guest  book.
Shepheard's Hotel about 1925
I can imagine Annabelle heading into the "Moorish" Dining Room at precisely 8pm local time to take dinner after a day of camels (we have that picture), pyramids and gems.


Some dinner music perhaps?



Comments

  1. Hi Dad, really cool story. Only thing I have to challenge is the Henry M.Stanley part - he died in 1904 in London. If we could find a date in that guestbook, that would put the challenge to rest, eh? Always love the blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes he did. I didn't say at the same time. Hotel dated from the 1840s

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment