Beebe Plain Vermont

Beebe Plain, Vermont/Canada in 1859
The other day, I published a short note on a map I found of Beebe Plain, Vermont that was printed about 1859. I had family there it seems and after a little more research, I've this to report:

The cemetery for the town is in Canada, just across the border as the line runs through a number of front lawns on Canusa Road.  Someone made a count and record of the plots and deceased and found some 630 or so graves. Of those, some 30 are relatives. Hiram and Harry, my dad's great great grandfathers and uncle, were born in 1808 and 1801 respectively and Harry's family bible from that year, marking his birth, is in our library - without any physical address or anything so Harry's entry was a mystery.
The Steward House and the Post Office..right on the line

I've tracked down some inhabitants and offspring from the map and written them for information. I particularly like the little marker captioned "store" that sits right on the border. In fact, half of the building is in Canada and the other half in Vermont. The little revamped building is the US Post Office so I'm told.

an old view of H. Stewart's house/store
H. Stewart's house is just to the right and mostly in Canada. P.R. Robbins (the next house to the south - two actually) has family in the area and I am awaiting their response. J. Willey's Store is going to prove very interesting.

I will report more as the situation merits.


Comments