No picture. Just 5p on a real deal fall Sunday night

Montpelier Crackers
Well yes. A picture. Writers prerogative.

I've mentioned a hundred times that on Sunday night, growing up of course, my father's favorite dinner was tomato soup (Campbell's) and egg noodles - the fine ones.

When he was a kid, his father had some issues and was put into a home.  His mom kept things together. That was their meal, he, Jimmy his brother, and Mary, his sister. I don't think they had a lot else by Sunday night.

When my dad got a promotion with Gulf Oil sometime in my early remembrance his  big deal splurge was to order a tin of Vermont Common Crackers. They started in 1828 as Montpelier (Vt.)  " Cross" crackers and then went to a more generic name. When he was a little kid in northern Vermont, there was a "cracker  barrel" in the local store (in Common Cracker history - a cracker  barrel held 1200  crackers and a family bought a barrel  to eat with soup). It would last them the winter.  These little buggers were hard as rocks but my dad loved them.  He remembered when he was 5 and going to get them to eat with local jam.

Now, in what may be my last really "with it" Christmas, I sent off my order for all my family.

 Makes me happy.

Comments