Having your own set of facts

One idiot comment on the WSJ said "Look!
They are using food stamps to buy
gourmet pizza."
There is an article in the Faux Noise Wall Street Journal (In Defense of Food Stamps).  The article is pretty factual and points up a different take on the situation than you hear from some in Congress.   The article had about 1,000 comments from readers.  I read a lot of them until I got a little queasy.

This picture is from the article. The comment noted in the caption is accurate. It was supported by a number of comments about the proverbial "buying booze and driving away in a Cadillac".  They don't take food stamps for pizzas unless they are in the frozen food section and if you want to eat one that costs under $4.00 - well go poison yourself.

Just to be clear on this subject, milk is $4.00 a gallon. A decent loaf of bread is $3.00+.  Peanut butter is about the same as is non-sugar loaded jam.  The projected cost of feeding an elderly person a decent diet (as described by the Agriculture and HHS departments is about $9.50 a day.

The food stamp benefit is a little over $4.00 a day.

I thought I would comment on the WSJ article so I signed in with a user name that I established 6 years ago. A screen popped up that said, generally, for about $30 I could get access to the electronic edition for 3 months and then I would pay $1/day thereafter.

I could buy a latte at Starbucks and read the WSJ and use up a day's food stamp allotment.  Makes perfect sense.


Comments