Shabti

Ushabti or Shabti
If there can be comforting funerals, we are attending one this morning.  These aren't happy occasions but the little touches, the music, favorite words or versus, pictures at the wake, the flood of tears and the realization that there are better places to look forward to, let us get through it.

This particular funeral is for someone who lived his life for the rest of us; wife and daughters in particular.  We knew him to be kind to a fault, stoic, almost unruffled.  Mostly we knew him in how he was to others.  He reflected well, let me tell you.

The service this morning will be in a very traditional church and on to the church's cemetery for the rest of it. It will be hard.  While others take along things that die with them, he robs us of memories - not the ones that have happened but the ones yet to be.  The Ghost of Christmas Future in a manner of speaking.

I suppose there are several ways of looking at the trappings that come along with passing. Our present day funerals are for the comfort and finality for the living. Long ago funerals were for the preparation of the soul for the afterlife. We've been taught that in our passing we will need nothing from earth as all wants and needs will be taken care of. When we bury a favorite pet, we often put a favorite blanket, a can of food, a collar or whatnot in the grave with the thought that it will be needed.
We need take nothing.

I'm fairly drawn to the Egyptian tomb idea where a few artifacts accompany me to what will be my next
stage. I'd prefer to have a few pictures to enjoy, a favorite item or two, some music, a book or two I can re-read endlessly..just a few things.

Mostly, and to the point, I would like to be committed with my choice of music to inflict on the mourners. It might be simple hubris but instead of some sad, melancholic expression, perhaps a good march, something quiet and gorgeous...  by the time I go, instead of an i-Pod and a blue-tooth microphone/speaker, perhaps we will have virtual movie screens on pass-out glasses (like our 3D theater glasses) and we can all see what I thought was beautiful and necessary.

Then they can go to the wake and celebrate my passing.

Comments