Alma Maters and such

In Michigan, where I went to high school, it seemed that if you were in the high school band, your director was either a University of Michigan or Michigan State alum and you were brainwashed into the UM or MSU way of making music. My parents and all their friends were staunch University of Michigan types; game day parties, blue and gold scarfs, the whole nine yards.

When I elected for State after a falling out with the UM golf coach, I think it broke my parent's heart although they  bought season tickets and never missed a game.

In 7th grade, a teacher from UM named Doug Campbell was our band director. He changed lives.  Garby Leon, who follows this blog now and then will attest. Garby is a big deal pianist and then oboe player. Stew Taylor went on to be one of the world's finest symphonic trombone players.  A dozen others found careers in music. The 7th grade had two classrooms of 30 each. One fourth of the school became professional musicians.

I was doing a "down memory lane" on Youtube.  I thought of Mr. Campbell, music, heritage and commitment to an ideal. I hope days never fade, when Alma Maters, singing, emotion and love of school go away.  It isn't corny or camp.

Hail.

 
 

Comments