A choice memory

About a million years ago I was working my through my doctoral program at the University of Kentucky...actually accumulating hours for Columbia but they didn't know that and I wasn't telling.

My campus job after the band director stuff was that I was the chief technical person in the ophthalmology department. I trained a lot for that job and I was, without modesty, really good at it.

In the Winter of 1978 we had snow and cold like you wouldn't believe. Horrible stuff. -10 for a couple weeks and 30 inches of snow.  Obviously the clinic had "down time".  It was a major medical center that served the indigent and students mainly so we hit a lull.

I can remember vividly to this day sitting in the lab area, pen in hand, (dip pen with an italic point) writing out this score and parts for a marvelous youth orchestra that would walk over a cliff to produce a fine performance.  Richard, Mike, Linda, Gail, Doug, Liza and a host of others follow this blog. I wrote out the parts for Steppes of Central Asia in a couple days of down time.  The orchestra could read the manuscript...I still have the parts downstairs in the mess.

I loved that orchestra and to sit in a clinic - that I really enjoyed - and do that music...best of all possible worlds.

Comments