The perfect Dirty Martini

Now, I'm not going to corrupt you but my wife and her niece are on Shelter Island right now - this very second - ordering some foo-foo martini made with squashed green tea leaves and for all I know the skin of a dead rodent. Ugh. 
My father was an aficionado of the martini. Beefeater up and dirty.  Bombay Sapphire (with 2 p's) was my choice but he would have none of it.  There was a little place on Santa Monica Blvd. right around the corner where I lived for a while called Renee's.  It was a dive.  George Takei of Star Trek fame often walked in as did the neighborhood famous and infamous.

I would often meet television sales persons there for a drink after work; a regular of sorts. Linda, who is VP of CBS was a buddy and was going through a horrible time of it at work at Lifetime and we would meet up and commiserate, often joined by Brad from A&E and Jason from Turner. We had a corner table. Sometimes we would go to my apartment near by for dinner but mostly we just talked and were friends.

I'm not advocating drinking as I've had enough of that but I do enjoy a martini now and then. Nostalgia perhaps.  I miss some of my buddy's terribly some evenings, right about now, when the sun is over the yardarm. 

Most of all, for some pronounced reason, I miss my dad. 13 years ago we had our last martini together.

Ingredients 

Original recipe makes 1 serving


  • Directions
    1. In a mixing glass, combine vodka, dry vermouth, brine and olives. Pour into a glass over ice. Either drink on the rocks, or strain into a chilled cocktail glass.


    Comments