Terror Radio and Edward Snowden


The signing of the Patriot Act
I know quite a bit of surface information about data mining; mostly having to do with TV viewing habits and/or Internet usage.  I know that one Internet Service Provider (ISP) showed me their data profile of "me", right down to my shoe size while another TV network had me crossed pegged with the Internet Data for use in their audience profiles.  No big deal, but you do know that every email you send is scanned - NOT recorded - but scanned for your "preferences".  You'll see the ads in the right column pertaining to key words in your emails or - and never do it - if you put something in the subject line.

My cell phone tells me where I am within about 6 feet.  It tells anyone else the same thing. The examples are endless and some as a result of technology and some as a result of advertising "needs" run amuck. What I find perplexing is when Google or Comcast does it - well I want my phone or iPad or my PC.  When the government does it, all hell breaks loose.

I was in a can't sleep mode last night and when awake at 2am, I flip through the radio dials - something that
I have done for half a century - something that is interesting and/or soothing. I listened for about an hour to Red Eye Radio - think Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and Mark Levin only 10 times crazier.

This airwaves filler is hosted by two Bubbas who could spin anything and who alternatively called this little traitor Edward Snowden a hero of liberation from the Obama regime and something of a warning siren about this vast Obama invasion of our rights.  Neither had, apparently, heard of the Patriot Act and all the little things tucked away in that abomination. No. This wasn't even related to terrorism. This, according to these nabobs, was all tied into the IRS stuff, and something I couldn't even translate dealing with Fox News.

These guys, like is peers, are all full of the "let's get the audience all worked up" shtick and their call-in listener base was what I would charitably describe as the "full moon" crowd.  But let's be clear. I am no fan of the Patriot Act and yes I do think it has opened the gates to data collection that I don't like. But I consider myself rational on the subject and think a little talking and public discussion on the issue is good and healthy.  Red Eye Radio is neither.

In the span of less than an hour the Patriot Act morphed into  a modern day Paul Revere (Snowden) exposing an integrated Obama plan to impose a monarchy.  Some called it a Coup d'etat.  The slippery slope to gun control came up ("first out telephones then our guns") and that red meat was irresistible. Then things went completely crazy.

Let me point out just a couple things:

  1. Edward Snowden isn't a hero. He is a traitor and should be hanged.
  2. The Patriot Act was passed in terrorist haste and if we don't finally talk about it, the damn thing will be cast in eternal cement and chained to our feet.
  3. People who "connect the dots" where no dots exist merely to incite the crowd are more of a threat to the nation than this Snowden fella.
  4. Late night radio is dominated by two types of crazies; a. folks who see bigfoot coming out of a UFO and, b. Bubbas who only have a job because 10% of our country is mentally ill.

Comments