Tic Toc

A good Sunday morning to you. 

A long time ago, my parents gave me a pocket watch. I treasured it. My last memory of it was at a concert, this date, 35 years ago, when it fell off my conductor's stand.  I wrote the piece of music and it was "timed" out in seconds, not in beats per measure; you know, 10 seconds here, 18 here yada yada.  It went kerplunk on the floor and flew apart.  The rest of the piece wasn't very exact, time wise, but you get the idea. I've rarely worn a watch since.



Absent a time mechanism that is regular, we used other methods, the rising of the sun most notably but you think about it, that instant when the sun peeks over the horizon - well unless you live in a flat area - along the seashore perhaps, any hill would foul the whole enterprise up; big dips and peaks along the timeline.  That is why I like sun dials as one isn't restricted by views; just be figuring out what is true north (enter the big dipper).

The happy medium are hour-glasses of course.  Not very accurate. Needs constant attention. Can't be late flipping the thing over.
yada yada.

Just sayin'.


Comments