hin und zurück

There and back.  I liked the other way of translating it as "coming and going".  No matter.

We all know about palindromes, mostly by numbers;  1234321 where my beginning is my ending and you can go in reverse order and come back to where you start. Numbers have always fascinated me and one of my few skills was being able to pick out the number patterns in those IQ tests; you know - the sequences and in particular, palindromes (not related to that woman Sarah). It gets more complicated with words; A Toyota’s a Toyota for instance.

I was thinking about getting old and all that yesterday and how simple, naive things...things that would be wonderment and pleasure as a kid would come back in the same way when you are in your "senior years"...my beginning is my ending.

To that end, I wonder if you can find the middle point in a life - barring incident and accident of course - that particular day when the day that preceded it is like the next day and so on.  There really is a middle point in your life and at the end you are like you were at the start.

Think 2001 A Space Odyssey and there you have it.  Hindemith, the composer, wrote a one act opera titled "hin and zurück" and in the exact middle it reverses itself.  You can never figure it out except on paper. Life is like that, perhaps...I'll get my pad and pen.

Comments