Didjaevah (sound it out)

I am going to turn this thing off, beat it like a rented mule, have a heart to heart talk with Zeus and implore a thunderbolt or two, threaten it and ... well maybe I'll just have a glass of wine.

Pays to think things through - find out what is important...what is not. 

A fellow (Doug) who was in my youth orchestra some centuries ago popped onto my Facebook community (or I into his) this morning.  He was a very good trumpet player when he joined and became an absolutely superb and dependable player by the time our paths diverged.  Everyone liked him. I did. He had all the good traits you look for and I can't wait to hear how things turned out. 

During that period of time (before the invention of the wheel and fire), I made an arrangement of the last movement of Mahler's Third Symphony for the orchestra - I still have the score - as one of the hardest things for younger players is to sustain music and keep it connected; not broken up.  I made that arrangement as it lasted about 15 minutes, looks simple on the page, but should and was intended to lead to complete exhaustion from concentration and self control by the end of playing it.

NOT unlike that damn bit of writing that blipped out on me a few minutes ago after a days work.

A nice Pinot is in store for me.  A bit of Mahler for you.   Bottoms up.

Comments

  1. I just now saw this after all these years. What a lovely thing to say. Thank you. Harold, you and your Mahler arrangement were two of the most important influences in my early musical life. And as you know, others much more musically successful than I think the very same thing. After several failed attempts, and a masters in orchestral conducting and 4 years on the Lexington City Council, Ibhavr a lovely family and I've made my living as a real estate lawyer who plays lots of music! And yet, not 3 days ago, all these years later, I told the story of you my mentor who orchestrated Mahler for a young orchestra that had such an influence on me, and on now famous orchestral musicians around the world. Thank you Harold!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment