One if by plane, two if by sled

You know how you get confused sometimes when someone asks your phone number and you have to stop and think for a second - mainly because you never call yourself.  Happened to me just the other day.  Some facts in history are a little bit vague at times ... just can't recall  a name or a date.  I owe it to me being part of the aging population or my brain is full - whatever.  When it counts however, I do my homework.  When I met a mayor of a town in northern Italy once on a quasi-diplomatic thing, I did my homework and I could talk with him about the proud and intricate history of the area like a native.  I'm not bragging - it is just something you do as a matter of course.

When the "ya'betcha babe" visited Bunker Hill and historic Boston, she would have done well to take a minute to prep up - particularly when she had to know there would be a softball question for which she could either look like a witty and prepared person or someone who can't find the Back Bay on a map. Having a few facts and stuff at the ready shows respect for your audience or for those you meet. It is just something people do so they can fit in and interact. One the other hand it is hubris to think that people meet you on a one way street - where it is all about you and you have not a whit of interest in them or their lives.

Sarah - meet Paul Revere....he was a silversmith and a night-rider; midnight to be more exact.  Hint: one if by land, two if by sea - old north church - the british are coming?  ya'betcha.

Comments