A tantalizing curve ball

A typical Ozzie and Harriet Mother's Day morning; some nostalgia mixed with remorse for not being a better son but she's gone and I can't undo the dones, incredible admiration for the mom who is getting a few extra seconds to dream, dog tucked at her feet, her mom down the hall, her kids close but not underfoot, wish that they were and their kids not yet ready for the Hallmark moment....

Back in third grade, Mrs. Hood introduced us to the fine art of book reports. "Due every Friday no less...here are your 40 books you will read them all, write a report about the book, read everyone else's book report on the book and present your report on Fridays by reading it to the class and no I don't care if it takes all day you WILL do it.  If you are sick you will just have to do 2 the next week. NO EXCUSES.  I will  do untold things to you - including but not limited to reducing you to tears if you don't comply...comprende?".

True to her word, and she had a system to match it, the agony of Friday came like the terrible swift sword.  The books were a mix, including a book on the Wright Brothers, something about a kid living in Ohio in 1803 (statehood if memory serves me), a fun one about the 500 hats and of course the baseball books - something about a kid tripping on his shoelaces running to first, the manager telling him that a home run wasn't needed, just a single to win the game and the hero waiting for his pitch, sure to be a fastball but being served up a teasing breaking ball.  I was at a loss for some hook in my book report, something that would set mine apart.  As taught to do, I got out my mom's thesaurus and looked up tease....naw nothing I could use or understand ... so I asked her for help and we went through a whole bunch of words and phrases until we found "catch the eye" because that is what curve balls do...they tease your eye; the ball looking big as the moon, its wonderful spin - you can see the stitches all red against the long faded dirty white - ahhh tantalizing - a feast for the eye. Got it. Wrote it.

I've watched my SO/mom display that incredible patience scores of times...endlessly. Her help is unconditional and like a book never says "no - you can't read me anymore" she always gives up her knowledge.  She is always there for the reading. She is also a feast for the eye and the soul. Tantalizing.

( a reader wrote me and told me that the musical links were down and wonder what I had put in so I'm republishing headed here. Thanks for letting me know Mister Anonymous)


Comments

  1. Best "Mother's Day" column I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely magnificent writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely music hd and sentiments to match. I hope that you and your lovely wife have a wonderful Mothers Day. Nothing is better than having the Grandkids over for the Holidays.

    God bless you and yours.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment