Please hold that metaphor

Metaphor:  [met-uh-fawr, -fer] –noun


1. a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our god.”
 
Almost 40 years ago I was in Kentucky and went through a huge tornado outbreak. I was also plenty scared by it. From there I moved to Oklahoma where things were clearly scarier weather-wise. Storms are what they are and the very recent tornado outbreak just shows we live either affected by things like this or just viewers from afar and it isn't our choice - but perhaps truly events out of our control.
 
Describing these lightning bolts from the gods seems to be a particular challenge to the folks that do the weather and the talking head newscasters who provide the lead-ins on the news.  We have been watching storm stuff on TV and hearing about it on radio for decades.  I've heard "tossed like tin cans", "broken up like match-sticks", "toppled like kids toys" for so long that I want to scream.  Tornadoes don't just swoop down from the sky, they "slam, slice and mow".
 
I'm not trying to be smart here.  We glibly (or perhaps not so glibly) reduce these terrifying events and the damage in life and property that they bring, to some supernatural lawn mower that slices and dices.  It makes me want to cover my ears and duck/cover to the lowest level in the house, away from doors and windows, and simply ride out the newscast.
 

Comments