Cup is still half full

My dad retired when he was 62  and lived to be 90 so he got a lot of retirement time and to see him, even with all the stuff he went through in his last decade...well it was enviable.  He got 12 more years than the expectancy and almost had a third of his life rewarded from the prior decades of labor.

My sister turned some number on Thursday, my brother hit the big 7something a couple weeks ago and me, youngest of all, (by far) hit my last year before I become a ward of the state and SS/Medicare forms arrive. Hurrah.

I got calls and video-emails from my offspring (step offspring but mine in spirit) which was really very nice, had an exquisite pineapple upside down cake for my celebration and slept very well.

It is knowing with certainty that things are finite and that as tough a set of cards sometimes dealt it is the simply things, a phone call, a note, just a smile that keeps glasses half full.  In fact I think that the half full stuff is all wrong. The cup fills over time and the last day on earth is when it overflows.  By expectancy measures I'm well past the 3/4ths full line and zeroing in on the day of overflowing but if you add up the contents poured in there to date, well its pretty much at the top now.

We might all look to think along those lines.  The bad stuff doesn't get to go into life's cup - just the good stuff and wouldn't this be a fine world if you weren't allowed to pass on until you did things that filled the cup to the brim - 1 teaspoon short of overflowing?

Comments