Midnight and Moonlight

Well tonight is the night. Every couple decades the moon makes a close approach to earth...not hugely different than the 238,000 miles we are used to (I learned that number in 3rd grade and it may or may not be right but it is close enough) but closer as to be noticeable.  The last one was about 19 years ago so I'm figuring that is a cycle of sorts, meaning 1974, 1955, etc. so this will be my third "super moon" and, just by the way things are, probably be my last so I'm going to enjoy it.

I did look it up and the moon will be 18% and change closer and a whole lot brighter depending on the sky conditions but something like 40% brighter - time to read the newspaper under the moonlight.  Oh, and the best time to see this is at moonrise when the moon is close to the horizon as that is when it will appear the biggest - not that it is bigger there but the frame of reference makes it so to our eyes.
Frame of reference.  That is important. Japan boils on in their misery. The fool in Libya launched a big ground assault on his opposition. We still have a lot of troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, Japan, Korea, Germany - well you name it and we are there. Congress hasn't spent 1 day in nearly 3 months figuring out how to create a job but they did waste a whole day yesterday on NPR to which they give no money but it is a thorn in some sides - Car Talk being a threat to the American way of life - oh and gas is $3.85 a gallon where I live for cheapo regular.

No matter.  I'm going to enjoy my super moon. I have a lawn chair down near the ocean that gives me a straight shot at it rising and overhead with little ambient light.....some saltines and herring in white sauce, perhaps a baked clam or two, a nice  Riesling which will be cold just because it will be 40 degrees, my cat who follows me out on nights like this just to see what I'm seeing...and of course a little night music...

Comments