Simple Gifts

Had a grand daughter/daughter visit yesterday. 

I dreamed last night that I was back a ways and playing golf with my father.  Strange dream of sorts of course since he has been gone for 11 years but there we were. I think a grand daughter visit sparked it as well as the visit from my daughter who brought the grand daughter.

Her (grand daughter) day was full. The dog and cat were delighted - not so much the cat, we had grilled cheese sandwiches and her first black bean soup for lunch, took a walk on the beach and collected winter shells and then ice skating at the local rink. A big big day.

When we loaded up the car go to my parent's house for dinner or just to visit it was always a chore of sorts as with 3 of them it was herding cats at best.  My mom and dad were my age as I am now when this took place and I can hear her (daughter) voice show that same tone that I must have...like in I love my parents but they are sometimes clueless...and just being worn out by her kids like we were with ours (which means her among others).

All that - the minor moments - are inconsequential to the greater treat of having grand kids visit, watching them pet a dog or wonder about the attitude of a cat, fall in the mud and laugh, eating (clean) snow by the beach and tossing rocks back into the sea - wondering into her great grandmother's room at bed time and sitting down and say "what's up". 

So we had our sleep over and its now 6am and she is up. A successful sleepover far from home without her mom and dad, plans made for the early morning, waffles for breakfast in a bit and Venus setting in the east.

Pretty good.

Comments

  1. Nice post. No we don't think you're clueless.
    :-)
    Abby is also looking forward to another sleepover and morning of waffles and pancakes. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment