Ice Skating

I've noted before that I grew up in Michigan with its 2 weeks of summer and 50 weeks of ice.  Skating at the fairgrounds was the thing to do - perhaps the only thing to do - and I can remember it, the warming shed with the pot-bellied stove, wood floors and benches, and the one employee sitting near the only window keeping watch.

Next to him was a phonograph that played, via loudspeakers on the roof, a lot of polkas and Lawrence Welk.  We didn't pay it much mind although if you were going to ask Carol or Barb for a few turns around the ice hand in hand you were careful to ask them for a song that lasted more than 2 minutes.

My local town has a rink and it has music but I'm not sure if it is town music or some local FM station piped in or nothing at all.  I'm going to go on a crusade to get appropriate ice skating music there.  I'm not really but these kids (and adults) should have the opportunity to remember skating a half century later, hand in hand with Barbara, the cold ice, blades making those shavings and gentle scraping noises, the lure of the warm shed and the stove and the sounds of Mr. Welk.

Comments

  1. I spent so many of my early years at that rink with my brothers or friend Sally. I used to watch the two old guys doing school figures. Sometimes they would show Sally and I how to do something. I begged my mother for figure skating lessons, but, of course, there was no such thing in Bay City. My early idol was Sonja Henne. As high schoolers we continued to skate, but gradually shifted to snow skiing. The old track is now torn up.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment