The GOP turns back the clock

I wrote this post in 2011; a dozen years ago. I could have written it yesterday.

I love a sense of history.  In fact, this writer has often been accused of being mired in years past.  The founding fathers are a particularly rich source of non-musical inspiration for me.  I toured in the musical 1776 for a while (orchestra) and we wore period costumes in the pit.  Moreover we read a lot because there is very little else to do except practice your instrument and read when you are touring.

My "x" was a lawyer - and at the time was studying to take the LSATs so my tour reading as a huge volume textbook on constitutional law. I thought it an amazing book...but then again I liked the Federalist Papers as well. (everyone say Geek).

Some republicans in Idaho (yes it is a state - honest - they have a football team) passed something or other based on the "Nullification
Doctrine" which doesn't exist but they would like it to.  The sum of it is that they don't like Obamacare so they think that if enough states say "we don't like that" federal law won't apply to them.  It is something like a constitutional amendment but applying to laws  and not big things like voting, or equal rights, etc.  Got it?

With all the problems in this country and with all that needs to be done, you have a bunch of yokels in Idaho and a bunch of other states dreaming up this idiocy.  That is what it is, by the way, pure idiocy.   They love the country and will fight to the death for the constitution except for the parts that they don't like or think don't exist and then just friggin' ignore them.


Comments