Border's rewards

I love books and bookstores. There is something almost thrilling about these mass retailers with their crowds of people buying real things to read. Perhaps not so thrilling for Borders Books right now as the flashing "exit here" sign is clearly out.

I read a lot online, like most people do now, and my major unease about doing so is that I can't figure out what is real and factual and what isn't.  When you hold a book in your hands, can easily find the footnotes or the provenance of the publisher (do they "fact check" or publish pablum), you get a sense of things. When bookstores disappear and we go increasingly electronic, we loose the "is this authentic" answer if for no other reason than if it is a reputable store they don't care junk books.

I'll keep my Border Rewards card to show my grand kids.  It might well be a novelty...something found in a yard sale.

Comments