Bagels, Cell phones and Drivers

I will admit that probably on more than one occasion I have used my cell phone while driving and on others stuffed down some fast food burger. Guilty.   I pretty much wanted to do the right thing after hearing an NPR story (yes while driving around) but always felt I was a little smarter than your average bear so I could get away with an occasional lapse.  An entire menu of recent stories on Nova, 60 minutes, CBS Evening news, Weekend etc. showed me visuals of brain activity and memory tests set to measure awareness when multi-tasking.  

No one does better doing two things at once. No one. No age group. No "I'm used to it 'cause I can text and watch TV all night long" teenager or an overloaded mom with a kid and a cell. Multi tasking while driving means you do multiple things less than 100%. It is true. It has been demonstrated a hundred ways from Sunday. It is fact.

The WSJ ran an editorial of sorts on the subject.  It was with the same reasoning as 'guns don't kill people - people kill people" so don't blame the gun.  Cell phones don't kill people ....people...well you get the reasoning or lack thereof.  This type of non-reasoning can be used in a lot of situations I guess...seat belts don't save lives, people save lives ....trains don't kill people in cars, people kill people by hitting trains??? I dunno. Where does this silliness stop.

Comments