William Tell

There was an old joke about the "naive listener" never being able to hear the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger.  I've got 10 years of musicology and conducting and a lifetime of professional pursuits in music and I STILL make that association - instantly.  I can see the "cloud of dust and the hearty hi-ho Silver away".  It is a great overture and people smile when they hear it. What more can you ask of a piece of music that Rossini probably tossed off in an afternoon.

Because I just enjoy the music for what it is - enjoyable - I'm not so into the "correctness" of the performance.  Oh i like all the notes to be played but I am not the purist on this that says it has to be an "opera pit orchestra" type of thing.  I just want it to be fun and I don't care who makes the noise as long as it is fun to hear.

Here are three versions of the second part of the overture.  One by a brass band, one by a kids orchestra from Venezuala (the system)j, and the third in a pit setting with Muti conducting. Same music. Same immense "fun"...just sounds different. Which do you like?





Comments