Waite C. Hoyt - Yankee

This is Waite C. Hoyt, the former Yankee pitcher in the 20s who played along side of Ruth and co., is a hall of famer and was the broadcaster for the Cincinnati Reds when I grew up there in the 50s.  My dad ran Gulf Oil and sponsored the Reds pregame show so we had box seats at old Crosley Field. I got to "work for Mr. Hoyt" in the press box as the "ticker tape" runner as that was how scores were updated for broadcasters. ... western union ticker tapes. My first job. My best job.

From that time, I have this baseball. I've looked everywhere and can't find another surviving baseball with his signature. 
It is "red stitched" and that dates the ball to the 40s and 50s.   Mr. Hoyt signed it along with 20 of the Reds including Frank Robinson (hall of fame) and Joe Nuxhall the youngest person ever to play in a major league game. The Giants were in town and Willie Mays signed the smallest Willie Mays signature ever but you can read it.

The pre-game show played Sousa's El Capitan march as the theme music. Wow.

Comments