Truth, justice and the American Way

Our little village area has its own 'blog' or two - not a civic undertaking but something of a vanity blog.  It draws  a rather odd set of bedfellows who basically have a little happy hour and harp on the lives and foibles of village life.  All well and good.  If your world is 20 square miles big then it is pretty easy to sail to the ends of it and claim you have seen all there is to see.

But like the rest of us, if we let our guard down, or in this case, the back door slightly ajar, a little fresh air creeps  in or to put it another way, the cat gets out. 

The current topic is books. We had a bookstore in town and now we have two. The second is of a spiffy nature designed for the 'swells'.  We also have a rebuilt library that doesn't house a lot of books but sure looks fancy and, costing about a bazillion dollars, is a story all to itself.  This local blog is in support of the original bookstore, is not a supporter of the upscale interloper and figures that the "free library" is the equal to a sailboat and the taxpayers own the credit card that pays for it.  The later is true on one level and, as we voted for it, not true on another.  Ahhhh the door swings ajar.

This is about taxes ultimately....and room for only one bookstore...one belonging to a friend.  Aside from a knock off the the plot of "You've Got Mail", I got into this nest by commenting on that blog in response to which the 'editor' decided that I wasn't literate and an idiot to boot. He accused me of just saying stuff to get readers of that blog to jump over to this blog to run up my advertising numbers.  Hmmm.

Let me get this straight.  I post up something here and there on a blog that gets maybe 30-40 readers a day (guessing but a good surmise) on the hopes of driving or attracting a few percent to come over to this blog so I'll get more ad revenue.  Let's be generous and say that I get 10 a day who do that (no way but let's say that) - and I don't get 10 a day from Salon where I'm pretty prominent - that would be 3600 a year from there to here.  The CPM (advertising pay per thousand visitors) is about $3.00 - so I would stand to make about $10.50 in an entire year from traffic.

(Editors note: Last week, I had 8 unique readers come here from that blog. That was .5102% of my total weekly unique traffic)

Now that is all clear and you have a glimpse of our village and some of the sterling logic and intellectual prowess involved, you just have a very nice day.

Comments