One of history's particularly wretched days

Please don't get me wrong on this.  My departed father was in the South Pacific Theater as it was called and he was part of the "first in" force training for the Japanese homeland invasion.  After 3+ years, starting with Guadalcanal and then the Phillipines, an 8 ounce piece of shell, and general illnesses  that accompanied every GI (he was a captain but it was the same piece of earth as the buck private occupied) he had survived to train for what was surely (odds are anyway) going to be his last work on earth. 

Anyway, this bomb, today at 815am their time, started to end things once and for all and another in a few days was the final blow so to speak.  It brought Russia into the Pacific War for advantage (certainly not out of loyalty to the cause).  It probably saved my dad's life and therefore mine so I selfishly write this as he was a great person and I can only aspire to be worthy for a second.  It was a terrible day for the rest of the world however. Terrible.

In the rest of this morning's posts, I'll take a look at it here and there, now and then, as my life took me into contact with Oak Ridge, Savannah River Plant, Fyneman and a lot of Russians so there is some perspective.

Comments