Nagasaki

It was 65 years ago at 11:02am.  Of course I recognize the need to end the war without a homeland invasion.  The killing going on was senseless and this second bomb brought that realization to the leadership.  I'm certainly not defending Japan one bit so it isn't that.   I'm just wondering how we, as a nation, would behave if put on the loosing side of a war someday.

There is a parallel of sorts during England's darkest days when the war mobilization was absolute and the citizens realized that there perhaps would be nothing worse than invasion and occupation.  I'm pretty convinced that they would have fought to the last man type of thing.

I'm just saying that war is horrible and never something to just leap into. It is high risk and dangerous up to the end. This was a good day 65 years ago in that these deaths perhaps prevented a million more.  That isn't a comfort somehow.

Comments