Late night emails

I got an email about 11p last night from Bill, a saxophone player I went to college with...a very good one by the way.

A former college professor and two good friends died this week.  I talked about the professor on his obit page and I hope his daughters read it.  One of the other "players", named Saska, was someone I new in college band days...a bonvivant and an excellent musician.  He survived Viet Nam while playing in a "post" band and I lost track of him except for the alumni newsletters and stuff.  I guess calling him a good friend is a stretch but then again i can remember him by face so after 40 years, I guess....

The other good friend was Jim who played bassoon and married Kathy, a good flutist who sat next to my x-wife in most ensembles. Unfortunately to the right of my x-wife which means "next".  We taught together for a while out east after college while both of us worked on our doctorates..strike that...he was working on his masters. Kathy was studying with a NY Philharmonic guy and came back from lessons in tears.  She knew then that she was not top drawer and wouldn't ever be.  That day, when you realize where you are on the pecking order - that is a hard day.   They got us our first NY apartment (through some strings) and we sampled wine with them nightly for a long time.  So much broken bread.

Anyway Jim and Kathy were lifelong friends, during their ups and downs and careers that were never hugely promising.  I know that sounds harsh but there is a real ability order in music and if you think that reaching the top rung is easy, well try it sometime. Getting on any damn rung is hard.  I last heard from Jim 2-3 years ago in an email that was kinda odd and disjointed. He died the other day but from something other than the disease that took his brain. 

About 40 years ago we played in a pick-up orchestra in NY together and there was Mozart piano concerto on the program. It is introspective and here is a movement - well part of - from it.  I'm sorry Jim. I really am. Kathy...my heart is in your heart today when you put him to rest.

Comments