The Baltic

Rummaging through my colletion of stuff - over the years I'm reduced to a small box of memorabilia - I have a ticket from 1982 from a passage over to and back from Stockholm to Helsinki in the dead of winter.  I made the trip a lot of times but the first, in January of 1982 - well cold, dark - dark and cold - that covers it. I sat at dinner with a woman from Helsinki who sent my now stepkids a Finnish version of the Night Before Christmas which is still a cherished possession, and a fellow from then Ceylon who was buying boat firefighting equipment from a supplier and two folks from somewhere up north in Sweden who take the trip once a month as the booze costs nearly nothing and they simply drank their way over and back...they weren't much fun.  Marja was a lot of fun and good natured. dangyp from Ceylon, well he died in the Tsunami a few years back and we had emailed for 25 years off and on...moving from telex to AOL and now and then on yahoo. He was a nice person.  The Swedes were not remembered ...
height="344">

Comments