Ye gods and God

Being Lutheran by choice and I think completely ecumenical by nature...and above all "spiritual" which is what I put on applications if someone asks, I'm pretty open to church music - meaning the "real stuff" from a rich history dating a thousand years or more. I envy the Catholic and Eastern Orthodox chants, the evolution of the Mass, the propers and ordinaries, the reformation music of my heritage, the wondrous epics from Bach onward.  The church, no matter who's church, has laid a core of western civilization and if, I'm sure, I had time, there is another world or two to discover on this planet, of spiritual expression.

My wife calls organ music "Igor Music".  A lot of it is. This isn't one of the pieces however.  I took it upon myself to listen to this piece on YouTube for about 2 hours until I found a performance that knocks me back in my seat.  It is an organ piece and the notes were the same in the other 30 or so that I listened to and one would think that each was the same. This one was different.  Think of all the services you have been to in your life that recited the Lord's Prayer. Think of the very best and moving of them. Why was it that way? What made it unlike the others? That is what I mean.

I guess you know it when you see it. At about 3 minutes and 25 seconds in if you don't get it...well...I can't explain.Turn up the volume.

Comments