We're havin' a heat wave - a tropical heat wave...the temperatures risen'...

I don't  get a lot of satisfaction when I'm right about something that is long settled and common knowledge.  I would, for instance, get little out of writing that the earth is round and gravity exists as that is settled science and to write about it like it was a discovery - particularly of mine - well, it gives me no pleasure or interest.  I feel the same way about global warming and writing about it and that this year is the hottest year in reasonable history and the next hottest one was just a few years ago.  I read Paul Krugman in the Times this morning and I shrug.
Two types read columns like this.  The first is the "wow that's an interesting observation" type and the other is the "the guy's a liberal and he is trying to make us into commies" type.  The later group could stand on a frying pan on high heat and invite the rest of us to join them.  When their feet burn off it wouldn't be because of their setting but because liberals had control of the rheostat.

Truth in science is pretty rare but when it happens it is a big deal and we have to recognize it.  When Galileo figured out that the earth wasn't the center of the universe he was nearly put to death.  It wouldn 't have been Galileo who died but scientific truth.  That is a loss we can't afford.

Comments