Let's be happy campers

I had the opportunity, unfortunately on several occasions, to visit the local supermarket - we only have one so its not like I have a choice. Because we get tourists, daytrippers, weekenders and all manner of highbrows from the city the place is generally jammed because restaurant reservations are scare as hen's teeth on weekends in the summer and if you do go, well, let's say there are only a couple I would spend a dime in anyway and that would be to drink and eat chips and salsa.

Anyway, it is bedlam. Arriving at the store on my second trip I watched an elderly fellow banging a shopping cart intentionally up against a VERY nice Jag parked way too close to his Benz...he couldn't get in except to slide across the seat...but there he is on the other guy's drivers side banging away. VERY serious damage and the more he did it the madder he got.  His goal, finally achieved, was to set off the Benz's car alarm which he did, which produced the owner out of the store, fight ensued, real deal fight, police, mayhem, hide the kids, bury the silver.

Nothing much would have prepared me for the inside of the store except that after 25 years here I've seen summer (and summer won). I got to the check out line with the few things that I needed (under 10 so an express lane woowoo) manned by Stephanie, who I've know for decades now, who looked like suicide was again a summer option, ...hey I waved...she cried...

So these clods in front of me unloaded there 20 some items (a social fauxpaux in the Hamptons) and left the cart in the checkout isle. Just unloaded and didn't do anything with it..blocking my way.
"Hey, take your cart"
ignore
"Hey, don't leave your cart here"
ignore
"Hey you dumb SOBs, take your GD cart"
ignore and now they are picking up their bags and are just gonna walk out

My mind raced. Remembering the parking lot I gave their cart a polite but firm shove that caught the second of the two right in the behind.  He whirled engraged, face red, "how dare you"...

ohmy..."How dare I? Look you stupid rat b...d, show some consideration, take your cart, shop somewhere else, and let's be happy campers or I'll simply ram this cart (mine) and your cart (yours) up your ass".

Stephanie smiled but she has seen this a lot.

Comments

  1. I cannot find fault in your reaction to the jerks with the abandoned cart, I would have done the same. It is a bit of a surprise though, this lack of decorum: You are so reserved, usually, out here in the internet tubes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment