I'm very sorry to see this man go

This is a little thing on a fellow named Harry Begian.  When I transferred to Michigan State he had just come in as the director of bands.  Many thought him to be the SOB of all times. He created a Wind Ensemble there that met at 8am M/W/F.  Each rehearsal was like a final exam. We had a "wake up call" phone system that started calling band members at 6am so no one would dare and I mean dare be late. We were always in our seats at 730, tuned, ready to go....

Dr. Begian died Monday at 90 or so in a facility near Alpena Michigan.  He got me my first job. He sponsored me for positions at Michigan State as a student and grad student.  He hated and publically scolded me that when I got married during my senior year that I had the luxury of a honeymoon in Puerto Rico (my father paid) and slipped me $25 so I could go to dinner. I asked him about the comments he made to others and he just smiled.   He put a letter in my graduate school file that was an "open sesame" to any job I wanted. He didn't tell me that he did it but like magic, any job I applied for, no matter how out of my reach, I was offered - and because of him.

I love-hated you when you were dictating my life and I have thought of you for 40 years as a very  very good friend. You did a lot for me and I'll remember you for that, selfishly, but I will remember you.


Comments