An Editorial

There is hope. It may take a decade or so to get here but there is some. We have a hot congressional race between the incumbent, Tim Bishop (D-NY 1st) and Chris Cox, grandson of Richard Nixon (yes that Nixon). Bishop was elected a few years ago and has been asleep ever since. Cox is somewhat to the Right of the Tea Party with no discerable ethic or ethos. He is a 32 y.o. lump with a fiancee who he met a couple years ago when she was in high school. Can we all say "way kewl" together.

Anyway, a well dressed young lady, perhaps 20, shows up at the door about dinner time last night. She was going door to door in 100 degree heat and had been all day urging people to write letters to our representatives about the Long Island Sound and restoration funding. 20-50 million or so for a waterway central to about 20 million people. She gave the addresses and all that stuff and said she would be back to pick them up and mail them for us. I was out getting pizza at the time of all this so my wife asked me to write the letters when I returned - "NOW" I think she phrased it - you can warm up the pizza later. I did. We put them on our front door.

I wrote a good letter because my wife asked me to put on the ritz and do a good job. Underneath was that she was impressed by this woman who would trudge around for something like this. I did write and they were pretty good. Envelope, stamps, good to go.

About 9 she returned and I did the door. It was the young lady. She was all smiles and thank yous. She was pleasant and, you could see it, driven to do this deed.

I think of the goofballs running in my district, guys who either never gone door to door for anything, never shook a hand except for money, have no cause other than their own fame and fortune, and are such empty, empty suits....and I juxtapose them against this woman - never gave her name - who spent a day in 100 degree heat going door to door for a body of water in which she has only a shared interest...well.

There is hope.

Comments