Gli uccelli (the birds)

Let's just think for a minute about the birds.

Obviously on the grand scope of things in the Gulf there are human tragedies galore. We seem to forget that 11 who lost their lives on the platform when it caught fire and that is something I'm sure BP and their buddies hope just vanishes into the mist.

I don't react well to animals or birds suffering..fish for that matter either. I do rake for clams but with my horrible skill set they might as well rake for me for all the good I do. The birds, however, seem to be something that really gets to me.

Our home is on a marshland, tidal area that fills and empties by the tides and is deeded to the Nature Conservancy so it will hopefully remain pristine forever. Birds abound. Kingfishers to red winged black birds, swamp sparrows - well you name it. Egrets are my favorite to watch..so perfectly adapted and of a patient disposition. Anyway, when we moved in I had some doubts about the location - a wetlands has a certain sweet/decaying smell to it..very ocean/very marsh..hard to explain but until I got used to that I got to know my birds and can watch them for hours on end.

I'm not a violent person but the pictures from the Gulf of those poor birds, who did NOTHING, who committed no crime and were just getting along and this oil is killing them and not in a humane way.  They don't deserve this.  The oil will come around south Florida in the currents and go up the coast on the Gulf Stream and there is so much of it, with a hurricane and some bad luck it will show up here eventually..maybe in my sacred marshland.  I just thought I'd warn the president of BP that if one of my neighbors in the marsh gets covered in your oil I'm going to hold you personally responsible and my retribution is to come punch you right in the nose.

Comments