Delta is ready when you are.....

I got my skymiles statement in my email this morning.  It was mailed out about 3am - in the dead of night.

Just a little history, I got my frequent flyer number in the first batch that was issued. It only has 4 digits that aren't zeros. I've been rather proud of that for some odd reason. I remember the old Atlanta Hartsfield airport ("fly delta jets") like the back of my hand.  When Delta somewhat decentralized into all the little prop plane hub and spoke stuff, I stuck with them even though no two humans alive could sit next to each other in seats meant for circus little people.  Anyway, they had great international service and until I found that SAS and Finnair actually served 40 year old port in first class, they had my business. I'm kidding.

I did log in about 800,000 miles on Delta over the years of my card and carried 100,000 in reserve for a "just in case" because that was 2 round trip, first class, anywhere tickets that my wife and I were saving for a spur of the moment thing which, it appears we won't get to take.

Our miles vanished because we didn't use them. I have zero.  So I called the medallion club at 530 when I got the shocking news and spoke with a very nice woman in India who started in with "didn't you read our email"?  

So here is to Delta, my ex-buddy of at least 30 some years.  I'll raise a plastic cup with 4 oz of diet sprite to my lips, munch silently on a 1 oz bag of pretzels, and find a hellish chair to sit in for an hour or two in rememberance of thee.

Comments