Being a father....

Father's Day is tomorrow. That it didn't exist some time ago and is really the hallmark of the imagination of the greeting card people (good pun I think for 6am on Saturday morning).

The kids are all a twitter - what to buy, what to cook for the gathering meal - all the utter nonsense that misses the point that the best gift I could possible in my whole life have is just having them around, safe, loved and happy.

Garrison Keillor, the humorist, has a great monologue about this (here).  Listen up and it puts it into perspective.  I might add that standing on the back deck at dusk last night, my granddaughter Abby with a bubble wand in hand shooting them up into the soft evening breeze, exclaiming "bubbles bubbles" then dashing inside, climbing into her special chair and eating a bit of ice creame then back out to "papaa"....well if that isn't the gift to last a lifetime.......................

Comments