Wanna live on the edge?

Some twenty or so years back, before I got into advertising and marketing, I faintly knew about NASCAR. I did somewhat but was like "why is this on TV?" type of thing. I was soooo wrong.

My wife and I went to Poconos 15 years ago or so as a guest of the then Family Channel which  sponsored Ted Musgrave. (Yes I have signed hats but also half a dozen other hats from the big guys). I got a tour of the hot pits from where we were able to watch most of the race and got to go to the shops where these wagons were put together by crews - well NASA was no match. 

I worked some with NASA folks in the early 80s.  I saw how they paid attention to technological detail...well, a long time ago, I worked some with some people who got the idea of what a 1/1000 of an inch was and they taught it to me. 1/1000 of an inch. It is amazingly small. NASA and NASCAR get it.

When you strap a guy in a car at 200 mph about inches off the next car in every direction, if you don't get it, the guy is dead.  That gives you perspective.  These NASCAR guys are the finest examples of understanding of technology we have.

Comments